Twentieth Century California Churches
Click To Continue To Next Page
Anaheim, Grace Missionary Baptist (ABA)
The Grace MBC of Garden Grove was organized at FMBC, South Gate, CA, March 8, 1957. Brother Harold Hendrix was the Missionary. Grace MBC of Garden Grove was chosen as the name. The church location was 9501 Chapman, Garden Grove.
The following served as pastor: Harold Hendrix March 1957 - April 58; Horace Calvin Isenhower 1957 - 62; Otis Richey October 12, 1962 - November 65; D. S. Madden February 1966 - July 80; Larry Reeves September 1980 - 84; Mark Jackson November 25, 1984 - 96; and Jewel M. Vance August 1998 - present.
The church moved to 1926 W. Ball Road, Anaheim during the pastorate of Brother Isenhower. The Church moved into their new building September 6, 1964. The church experienced substantial growth. The continuing Columbia mission work began, and an educational building was completed while D. S. Madden was pastor. The Spanish mission began during the pastorate of Bro. Jackson. The Spanish mission relocated to Whittier and organized into Grace MBC of Whittier, CA, during the pastorate of Bro. Vance.
Anaheim, Orange Avenue Baptist (BMA)
Seven members of Bethel MBC, Santa Ana and three members of FBC, Tustin met in the home of Brother G. E. Bridges, April 1955, to pray about and discuss organizing a church in Anaheim. All California BMA churches were invited to send ordained men to form a presbytery for the purpose of organizing Associational BC. The Orange Avenue BC was organized April 17, 1955, with ten charter members plus one added that day. The charter was left open 30 days and the number of charter members increased to 15. The church was named First Associational Baptist of Anaheim.
The church petitioned fellowship in the BMA of California and NABA. Brother Bridges served as pastor from 1955 - 58. The church first met in a rented dance studio in downtown Anaheim. The church located property in the country on Orange Ave. with a two bedroom farm house and room to build. Three families borrowed fifteen hundred dollars each to make the down payment. The church began meeting in the farm house September 1955. A church auditorium was completed and a donated building was moved to the property and restored for Junior Department use during the pastorate of Brother Bridges. The church started missions in San Diego, Garden Grove and Orange.
Antioch, First Missionary Baptist (ABA)
The FMBC Antioch, California, endorsed by FMBC Salinas, and led by Missionary R. Y. Blalock, was organized with 16 charter members presenting church letters August 24, 1941. Ordained men from four Missionary Baptist Association churches composed the presbytery counsel. Brother Blalock served as Missionary Pastor until December 14, 1941.
The following men have served as pastor: Alden Irvin, 1941 - 42; Herbert Hamby, 1942 - 43; E. T. Neal, 1943; John Cooper, 1943 - 44; Victor E. Salyer, 1944 - 45; W. S. Rambo, 1945 - 46; J. A. Tabor, 1946 - 48; Allen Adkins, 1948 - 53; M. F. Downing, 1953 - 57; Henry Nance, 1958 - 60; L. M. Branch, 1960 - 63; Paul D. Magness, 1964 - 68; Larry Reeves with Tom Counts as associate part of the time, 1968 - 80; Dwight Paterson, 1980 - 86; Donald Loyd, 1987 - 89; Truman Campbell, 1989 - 93; Robert Ledford, 1994 to 06, followed by Phil Wright in 2006 to the present.
The church has occupied three buildings, owned two parsonages and presently owns property valued in excess of a million dollars. The church sponsored missions resulted in churches established in Brentwood, San Jose, Oakley, Concord, Santa Rosa, second church in Brentwood and Livermore, California. Activities in Old and Coop Association work include sponsoring camps, missionaries, CMD and bus ministry. Her ministry has enriched thousands of lives.
Armona, First Missionary Baptist (ABA)
The FMBC, Armona, was organized with ten charter members January 16, 1946. Missionary John Cooper, with R. R. Farris, and Charlie Crouch began the work December 1945. The first meeting place was a hall in Grangeville. Brother Charlie Crouch was called as first pastor in 1946. The mission purchased property in Armona and built a church building. A parsonage was purchased 1948 - 49. Full time pastoral support began in 1952. The present new sanctuary was built between 1965 - 69. The church represented in both the local, state, and national Missionary Baptist Associations and presently the Coop.
The following men have served as pastor: Charlie Crouch, 1946 - 48; Charles Price, 1948 - 49, Manning J. Duncan, 1949 - ; Thomas Hicks, 1952 - 53, A. T. Adkins (first time), 1953 - 58; Ernest Bennett, 1958 - 65; A. D. Compton, 1965 - 69; A. T. Adkins, 1970 - 75 and Bill Fritz, 1976 to present (2009).
The church has endorsed the following missionaries: O. E. Hall, Jim Cain, Austin Russell, Dieter Burgstrasser and others. Churches organized from sponsored missions: Freedom, Arroyo Grande, Merced, Lompoc, Madera, and Sonora. For several years, the church has sponsored California Mission Development to assist missions and churches financially.
Arroyo Grande, Landmark Missionary Baptist (ABA)
The LMBC, Arroyo Grande sponsored by FMBC, Armona, with ABA Interstate Missionary F. E. James, was organized in 1959 with 25 charter members from FMBC Armona. During 1965 - 66, the church purchased five acres of land with a nice parsonage. Bonds were sold to finance their first building in 1966. Their beautiful sanctuary was built during the period from 1973 - 81.
The following men have served as pastor: F. E. James, October 1959 - January 60; Austin Russell, April 1960 - January 61; Don Wheeler, January 1961 - December 62; Vernon Stanley, March 1963 - July 63; Robert Dotson, September 1963 - December 64; C. E. Woods, January 1965 – June 66, Burel Burnes, 1966; Larry Clements, 1968; Jim Gage, 1969 - 71; James Roberts, 1973 - 81, Wayne Beene, 1982 - 93, L. D. Perdue, Thomas McCright, assistant pastor, 1994 - 96, Mike Dennis, 1997 - 99; Michael Harris, 2001; Vance Kelley, 2002 - present (2009).
The church suffered a division during Brother James Roberts’ pastorate but was reunited under the pastorate of Brother Wayne Beene. Churches organized from sponsored missions: San Louis Obispo and Nipomo. The church supports 1 - 12 Coastal Christian School, which meets in church facilities with an enrollment of up to 400 students. The church associates in the local, Coop and ABA.
Artesia, Missionary Baptist Church (Disbanded)
The MBC, Artesia, sponsored by Norwalk MBC, with Missionary James L. Roberts, began as a Mission May 23, 1967, and was organized into a church September 30, 1972 with 25 charter members. The following have served as pastor: James L. Roberts, 1972 - 73; Cecil Kemp, 1973 - 74; Glenn Ridings, 1975 - 76. C. E. Woods 1976 - 77. The Artesia church moved to Hawaiian Gardens in 1976 during the pastorate of Brother Ridings and was renamed Hawaiian Gardens MBC. The church represented in the Coop Association until it disbanded in 1977.
Arvin, Missionary Baptist Church (Disbanded)
The MBC, of Arvin, with Missionary Brother Bill Davis, was organized with charter members received by letters from Emmanuel MBC and Bethel MBC, Bakersfield, CA. The church represented in the Coop and ABA. They had two pastors before disbanding; Bill Davis 1959; and Arry Dunn 1960 - 61.
Atascadero, Landmark Missionary Baptist (Left Landmark Work)
LMBC of Atascadero, organized in the sixties, represented in the Coop in 1968. The following have served as pastor: Keith Blanton, 1968 to 71; A. P. Shoemake, 1971 to 72; Frank Fundaro, 1972 - 79. During Frank Fundaro’s pastorate, the church built a nice church plant and the attendance exceeded 100. The church left the ABA and Landmark fellowship and changed their name to Berean Baptist Fellowship.
Auburn, Missionary Baptist Church (ABA)
The MBC, Auburn, with Missionaries J. Lewis Smith, Jay Pruden, was organized September 1931. The church, with a membership of 24, represented in the Baptist Missionary Association of California (Old State) March 1934. Brother Jay Pruden was Missionary pastor. The church left Old State when their Mission Committee Program ceased.
Azusa, First Missionary Baptist Church (Disbanded)
The FMBC, Azusa was organized May 15, 1959, Missionary Lonnie Reeves. They represented in the Coop one year.
Bakersfield, Bethel Missionary Baptist Church (Independent)
BMBC, Bakersfield, first called MBC of Rosedale, sponsored by Ford City MBC, with Missionary Fred Shuffield, was organized January 27, 1956. Property on Allens Drive, Bakersfield was purchased in 1956. The church had a radio ministry.
The following men served as pastor: Fred Shuffield, 1956 - December 59; Bill Davis, July 1960 - October 61; Ellis Murders November 1961 - November 63; Floyd Jordan, November 1963 - November 69; Sherman Burleson December 1969 - May 71; Floyd Jordan (second time) July 1971 - until his death September 71; Lorn Morril November 1971 - July 73; John Swofford September 1973 - September 74; Lorn Morril (second time) December 1974 - November 75; J. W. Collum November 1975 - November 77; John Swofford (second time) December 1977 - September 82; Walter Chambers October 1982 until his death July 1984; Deryl Lackey, August 1984 - February 86; Richard Campbell, June 1986 - July 88; Mike Dennis September 1988 - 90; Don Dilley, 1991 - ?
Floyd Jordan led in building a nice church plant. They first represented in the Old State, later the Coop. The church quit representing in the Coop in 1992.
Bakersfield, Coronado Gardens Missionary Baptist (BMA)
Coronado Gardens MBC, which began as Bakersfield Baptist Mission, was endorsed by the MBC, Rialto, California Interstate Missionary Sherman Harman, was organized on July 14, 1962 with 18 charter members. The church has built a nice church plant on their property. They represented in the NABA (BMA).
The following men served as pastor: Richard Johnson 1962 - 63; Troy Mize, 1963 - 64; Bob Allen, 1965; John Cummings, 1966 - 68; Bill Akers, 1968 - 69; Ray Davis, 1969 - 70; Wayne Holland, 1970 - 73; Hurley Holcombe, 1973 - 73; John Metzger 1977 - 78; Weldon E. Irvin 1978.
Bakersfield, First Missionary Baptist (ABA)
The Emmanuel MBC was organized in the 1930’s. Early pastors were E. G. Polson and Lester McCalister. The church represented in the Old State, accepting their Articles of Faith. Lee Wright believed the church was improperly organized, based on the scriptural qualifications of the charter members, and the Emmanuel MBC was reorganized January 19, 1951 under the leadership of Lee Wright and six members with letters from the FMBC, Corcoran, California. Thirty nine people came forward for membership during the first service. The church adopted the Articles of Faith of the Old State. The church elected to retain the name of Emmanuel Missionary Baptist Church.
The following served as pastor: Lee Wright, 1951 - 56, D. O. Ross, 1957 - 58, Lee Wright's second time, 1958 - 60; Ben Crawford, 1961 - 64, Alvin Mayall, 1965 - 68; Wayne Cable 1969; Pat Christian, 1970 - 73; Gerald Hossman, 1974, Gary Max, 1975 - 79; Keith Blanton, 1980 - 81; Doug Mayo, 1982 - 91; and Larry Wooley, 1992 to the present (2007). The church currently recognizes the original organization and rejects January 1951 reorganization. The church currently enjoys great spiritual service and growth.
Bakersfield, Jezreel Missionary Baptist (ABA)
Jezreel MBC was organized December 3, 1977, Missionary Joe Hernandez. The church represents in the Coop. The following men served as pastor: Joe Hernandez 1977 - 87; Efrain Aleman 1987 - 04; Laverne Otarola 2005 - present. The church completed some impressive building programs and grew to a full time status by 1987. The Coop Association Churches assisted the church very much.
Bakersfield, Landmark Missionary Baptist (Left Landmark Work)
LMBC, sponsored by MBC, Ford City, California, Missionary Bill Brown, was organized October 18, 1963. They represented in Old State.
The following men have served as pastor: Bill Brown, October 1963 to August 69; Clyde Spinks, January 1970 to August 70; James Taylor, March 1971 to November 75; Bill Whala, February 1976 to September 77; and Art Tabor, January 1978 - 85. Churches organized from sponsored missions: Liberty MBC, San Fernando; MBC, Palmdale; and MBC, Fresno. All represent in Old State.
The church built a beautiful church plant during Art Tabor’s pastorate; attendance reached a high in excess of 150. The church was very active in association and mission activities. Wayne Meade accepted the call as pastor May 8, 1985 with a split vote and the church called for his ordination. On May 18, 1985, the counsel of 39 ordained pastors and deacons recommended unanimously that the church NOT ordain Meade. In spite of this, he remained as pastor and led the church out of the Landmark Baptist work. On July 12, 1985, a council consisting of 52 ordained pastors and deacons from Old State and Coop was held. A motion was made to recommend that members holding Landmark principles take Meade and his followers to court in order to regain the property. This failed and the property was lost.
Bakersfield, Magundon Missionary Baptist Church (Disbanded)
Magundon MBC, endorsed by Lost Hills MBC, with Missionary L. E. Hatfield, was organized with 6 charter members from Lost Hills MBC January 27, 1952. Ordained help from Lost Hills, Tulare, Wasco, Maricopa and Ford City LMBC sat in counsel. The Lost Hills MBC donated property, with a $4,000 mortage balance, in Bakersfield Magundon area to the new church. (Note: The property was received as a gift from a previously organized and disbanded church.)
Bakersfield, New Bethel Missionary Baptist Church (ABA)
New Bethel MBC, endorsed by MBC, Taft, Missionary R. O. Bloxham, was organized in Lamont with 12 charter members May 21, 1950. On April 28, 1971, the church relocated to church property purchased at 1015 Castro Lane, Bakersfield. A parsonage was purchased May 1, 1977.
The following men have served as pastor: Dud G. Poyner, 1951 - 53; Nuel Spears, 1953 - 54; Charlie Trammel 1954 - 59; Perry Miller, 1960; Ted McClaren, 1961 - 62; Sherman Burleson, 1962 - 64; Johnny Sloate, 1964 - 65; Dud G. Poyner's second time, 1965 - 69; J. W. Collum, 1969 - 75; Loren Morril, 1976 - 77; Dewayne Hodges, 1977 - 78; Ken Hossman, 1978 - 80; Glenn Ridings, 1980 - 83; Johnny Sloate, 1984 - 91; Robbie Tully, 1994 - 96; Ross Chambers, 1997 - 99; Dick Montgomery, 2000 - 01; and Marshal Coffman, 2002 to the present (2006).
Bakersfield, New Hope Missionary Baptist Church (Disbanded)
The New Hope MBC was organized October 29, 1954, with Missionary A. D. Story. They called A. D. Story for pastor, built a nice building and many were saved during his pastorate.
The following men have served as pastor: A. D. Story, 1954 - 77; Jim Phillips 1978 - 82; William T. Porter 1982 - 84. The membership numbered 59 in 1983. The last year they represented in the Coop was 1983.
Bakersfield, Shiloh Landmark Missionary Baptist Church (Independent)
Shiloh LMBC, endorsed by Liberty MBC, Modesto, California, Old State with Missionary Richard Harless, was organized with 17 charter members June 4, 1988. Brother Harless was called as pastor. Tim Ames led the church out of the Old State and was pastor in 2006.
Bakersfield, Victory Baptist (BMA)
The Victory MBC, endorsed by Coronado Gardens MBC, with Missionary Wayne Holland, began as a Victory Missionary Baptist Mission with nine people September 8, 1973. The mission met at the Holland’s home, 5912 Camp Street, Bakersfield. The mission organized into a church March 22, 1974. The church began representing in the national and state and Southern Coast BMA in 1974. The church officially moved into its new building constructed almost entirely by its members. The current estimated value is $140,000. The current pastor is Ray Davis.
Bakersfield, Woodlane Missionary Baptist Church (ABA)
The Woodlane MBC, later renamed New Life MBC, was reorganized May 24, 1986 with members who left LMBC, Bakersfield when that church departed from the faith (see article above for original organization October 18, 1963). The following men served as pastor: William Eugene Roberts 1986 - 94. Gregory Andino 1995 - 01; Elly Andino 2002 - ? They had 43 members according to the Coop State Minutes. The church disbanded July 7, 2004.
Baldwin Park, Calvary Missionary Baptist Church (ABA)
The Calvary MBC, Baldwin Park, endorsed by FBC, Dominguez, with Missionary Monroe Patterson, was organized on August 3, 1969 with 48 charter members who received by letters from FBC, Dominguez, Martin Canavan, pastor. The following men have served as pastor: Monroe Patterson 1969 - 70; Joe Steddum 1972 - 73; Larry Crouch 1973.
Baldwin Park, First Missionary Baptist Church (ABA)
FMBC, Baldwin Park, endorsed by Bellflower FMBC, with Missionary John F. Stevens, was organized in 1960. The following men have served as pastor: John F. Stephens 1960; Mervin Vineyard 1961 to?; Tom Judd 1964; Harry Merry 1966.
Baldwin Park, Missionary Baptist Church (Old State)
The Baldwin Park MBC, originally organized as Norwalk MBC during 1946, was renamed after purchasing property in Baldwin Park in 1947. The following men have served as pastor: Glen R. Hambey, 1946; Wyatt W. Ford, 1947 - 48; M. Canfield, 1949; and Leroy Gable, 1950. The church last represented in Old State in 1950.
Barstow, Landmark Missionary Baptist Church (ABA)
The LMBC, Barstow, endorsed by FMBC, Armona, Interstate with Missionary F. E. James, was organized October 19, 1956 with 10 charter members from churches in Redlands and Armona, CA. and Macks, Arkansas. Ordained ministers and deacons from churches in Ridgecrest, Dinuba, McFarland, Redlands, Manteca, Corcoran, Armona, Mira Loma and Macks, AR, formed the presbytery council. The Articles of Faith from The Baptist Way Book by Ben Bogard were adopted.
The following served as pastor: F. E. James, missionary pastor October 19, 1956 - 57; Andy Thommarson, October 4, 1957 - 62; Vernon Stanley, 62; Marlin Gipson, 1962 - 1963; Charles R. Price, 1963; Lindon Sparks March 1965 to November 69; Larry Jacobs March 1970 - 4/70; Richard Weathers June 1970 - 9/72; Lindon Sparks' second time, January 1973 to the present (2009). Endorsed missionaries: F. E. James; James W. Daley; Marlin Gipson. Churches established: FMBC, Lancaster, California. The Barstow church represents in Mojave Desert, Coop and ABA. LMBC, Barstow led in the organization of the Mojave Desert Association February 22, 1957. The present pastor, Lindon Sparks is a committee man on the Coop History and Archive Committee.
Barstow, Oasis Baptist (BMA)
The Oasis BC, Barstow, endorsed by Orange Avenue B.C., Anaheim, with Missionary E. Howard Tipton, was organized June 14, 1969 with 24 charter members. The church began as a mission April 20, 1968 in the home of Brother Ted Weibel. The church purchased property and a building on Grace Street in 1971.
The following served as pastor: E. Howard Tipton 1969 - 74; Roy Wilson 1974 - 78; Otis Pendergraft 1978 - ? The present pastor, 2006, is Charles Beason. On April 11, 1971, during the pastorate of Brother E. Howard Tipton, the church endorsed a mission in Las Vegas, Nevada. with Interstate Missionary Howard Rhoden. During the pastorate of Roy Wilson the church endorsed a mission in Hesperia, Brother Howard Rhoden, Missionary Pastor.
Beaumont (Banning), First Landmark Missionary Baptist Church (ABA)
The Beaumont FMBC endorsed by La Habra MBC, with Old State Missionaries Jessie Scott and Cass Rodgers, was organized October 8, 1977 with 32 charter members from LaHabra MBC. The church represented in the Old State until March 8, 1995. They voted to represent in the Coop September 12, 1999.
The following men served as pastor: Jessie Scott, October 1977 - September 78; Rick Howard, September 1978 - 80; Gordon Hill, 1981; Jessie Scott's second time, 1984 - 85; Odis Gaylor, 1986 to 97; Clifford P. Creel, 1998 to 2003. The church purchased and moved into much nicer facilities in Banning, California during 2003.
Bellflower, Baptist Tabernacle (Old State)
The Baptist Tabernacle, approved by Gloria Gardens MBC, Missionary Lester Noles, was organized with a large number of members from the Gloria Gardens Church, June 12, 1949. Brother Noles was the first pastor. The property was purchased and a nice building was erected at the present location of the Bellflower FMBC. In a mutual agreement with Gloria Gardens MBC, the church Tabernacle disbanded July 1957, transferred the property to Gloria Gardens FBC and the majority of the members united with Gloria Gardens MBC.
Bellflower, First Missionary Baptist (ABA)
FMBC, Bellflower, with Missionary Elder John Martin Tate, was organized May 13, 1928, as FBC of Gloria Gardens with 16 charter members. Ordained ministers and deacons from Lynwood and Bellflower Baptist churches formed the organization council. The church voted March 8, 1928, to "indorse the idea of an independent association" and represented with messengers sent to the first Association meeting in San Diego. The church incorporated under California state laws March 19, 1929. The question of whether to "subscribe to the doctrine of the American Baptist Association" was discussed at this meeting. The church approved a motion "affiliate with the American Baptist Association" June 5, 1929.
The Articles of Incorporation and other church records declare the church to be a standard, fundamental, association, Missionary Baptist Church and prohibit the property passing to any other type Baptist church. Property was purchased and the church presently has a beautiful church plant. Under the pastorate of Bro. Banks, on December 3, 1958, the name of the church was changed from the Gloria Gardens Missionary Baptist Church to the First Missionary Baptist Church of Bellflower. Under the ministry of Bro. McKellip that the California Missionary Baptist Institute was begun under the direction of the Bellflower Church.
The following have served as pastor: John Martin Tate, 1928 - 32; L. W. Wright, June 8, 1932 - June 3, 1933; Bro. Alanzo Yancy, December 1937 - May 38; G.M. Workman, May 1938 - 40; Lester R. Noles, 1940 - 42; Bro. E. L. Thurman, 1942 - 45; C.C. Middleton, 1945 - January 52; Bro. A.E. Ford, 1952; Bro. Arden Johnson, April 6, 1952; Bro. Lloyd Hill, December 1953 - May 56; K.G. McKellip, May 1956 - June 58; W.H. Banks 1958 - 60; Allen Adkins June 1960 - November 62; Roy M. Reed, October 14, 1962 - 86; Jerry Coffman, 1986 - 99; A. L. (Butch) Shipp, 2000 - 2004.
At the time that Brother Shipp was the senior pastor is when Eric Brown and Ruben Guerrero came on the pastoral staff as associate pastors. After Brother Shipp left,
they did not technically have a senior pastor. Approximately three months after Bro. Shipp resigned, Bro. Kris Cash came on the staff. All three of them worked together with equal
status in pastoring the church. In August of 2008, Bro. Cash resigned. Since that time, Bro. Guerrero and Bro. Brown have been the two pastors of the church. The responsibilities
primarily fall with Bro. Brown shepherding the English speaking members and Bro. Guerrero shepherding the Spanish speaking members.
They are both involved with ministering to the entire congregation. They continue working toward a one church mentality, and seek to be viewed as equal in position and responsibility rather than one pastor being "over" the other.
Bellflower, New Testament Missionary Baptist (Disbanded)
New Testament MBC, endorsed by Sharon MBC, North Long Beach, with Missionary Hoyt Chastain, was organized with 16 charter members on March 18, 1973. The following men served as pastor: Hoyt Chastain March 1973 - January 75, William K. Frensley March 1975 - May 5, 1975, and Meri Tucker September 1975 - 76. The church disbanded 1976 with most members uniting with FMBC, Bellflower.
Bell Gardens, Zion Missionary Baptist (Disbanded)
Zion MBC, endorsed by Sharon MBC, with Missionaries Marlin Gipson and Jim Wilkins, was organized March 1961. The following men served as pastor: Marlin Gipson, 1961 - 62; Joe Clements, 1963; Mervin Vineyard, 1964. It was not listed in the 1965 Coop Yearbook.
Berkeley, Calvary Baptist Church (SBC)
The Calvary BC was organized as a MBC through the efforts of Missionary Jay Pruden. The church represented in the Eastern Association of California and Oregon in
1929. The pastor, Jay Pruden, and church led in the organization of the Baptist Missionary Association, later renamed California Missionary Baptist Association (Old State) in 1932.
The church ceased representing in Old State in 1937 because the association messengers did away with the Missionary Committee. The church continued to represent in ABA several years then became a SBC church
Big Bear, Mission (Old State)
Missionary Ron Allen, endorsed by Old State, ministered in a mission in Big Bear in January 1983 - 96, but no church was organized.
Bishop, Owens Valley Missionary Baptist Church (Independent)
The Owens Valley MBC, Bishop, sponsored by the MBC, La Habra, with Missionary Ora Hollaway, began as a mission March 3, 1974. The Mission closed in 1975.
The Mission was restarted by La Habra MBC, May 1976, Missionaries Logue and Weathers. The Church was organized by Missionary Jimmy Weathers on October 29, 1977 with 18 charter members.
Brother Weathers led the mission to purchase property and built a nice building. The following men have served as pastor: Jimmy R. Weathers, 1977 - 79; Bill Evans,
1979 - 81; Tom Tickenoff, 1982; - 83; Donald Kallner, 1983 - 84; Robert I. Timmons, 1984 - 87.
The church last represented in the Old State in 1987 reporting 12 members.
Bloomington, First Missionary Baptist Church (ABA)
The FMBC, Bloomington, Missionary Roy Gibbs, was organized December 19, 1943 with 12 charter members. Brother Roy Gibbs led out in the mission and was called as pastor and served until 1945. The following men served as pastor: Roy Gibbs 1943 - 45; John Underwood, 1946; C. C. Williams, 1947; Rollin Leighton, 1948; Austin Quick, 1949; R. J. Whited 1956; Mervin Vineyard 1962; Fred Branscum 1963 - 68; C. E. Woods 1969; Howard Estus 1970 - 79; Walter Chambers 1980 - 82; Howard Estus, second time, 1983 - 00; Joe Erwin 2001 - 02.
The church ceased representing in Old State during Austin Quick’s pastorate. The church resumed representing in Old State for one year during the pastorate of R. J. Whited. Mervin Vineyard led the church to represent in Coop. The church continues to represent in Coop (2004).
Blythe, Baring Cross Missionary Baptist Church (Disbanded)
The Baring Cross MBC, Blythe, with Missionary Nando E. Burrow, was organized January 8, 1971. He began the mission in 1968. Pastor: Nando E. Burrow 1971 - 74. The church disbanded 1974.
Blythe, First Landmark Baptist Church (Disbanded)
The FLMBC, Blythe, with Missionary Jack Farley and CMBI students, was organized on April 8, 1959. The following men have served as pastor: Jack Farley, 1959 - 60;
Claude P. Crawford, 1960; W. F. Woods, 1961 - 64; J. C. Jones, May 1965 - 66; C. H. Denny, 1966 - 67; John Peach, 1968; Ernest E. Crawford, 1968 - 69; Ben Crawford, 1970 - 71. A parsonage
was purchased during the pastorate of W. F. Woods.
The church represented in the Coop until 1971.
Bodfish, Kern County Missionary Baptist Church (Disbanded)
The Kern County MBC, endorsed by Emmanuel MBC, Bakersfield, with Old State Missionary D. F. Gafford, was organized October 27, 1950. No association representation is reported.
Brea, Missionary Baptist Church (ABA)
The Brea MBC, endorsed by La Habra MBC, Missionary Luther Cooper, was organized with 12 charter members as the Leffingwell MBC March 23, 1956. The church relocated to Brea, March 6, 1957 and was renamed Brea MBC. They purchased and moved into their present property March 27, 1963.
The following men have served as pastor: Luther Cooper 1956; Leonard Logue, 1957 - 65; Otis Gaylor, 1965 - 67; Leonard Logue's second time 1967; Otis Gaylor's second time 1968 - 84; Dwayne Stutte, 1986 - July 2001; Joe Erwin, February 24, 2002 to the present.
The church left Old State in 1995. Church messengers represented in Coop 2005. The church has a beautiful church plant. A missionary was endorsed, Cass Rogers, and a church was organized in Yucca Valley (Joshua Tree) MBC March 1, 1980.
Brentwood, First Missionary Baptist Church (Left Landmark Work)
The FMBC, Brentwood, under Old State Missionary John Cooper, was organized September 2, 1944.
The following men have served as pastor: John Cooper 1944 - 45; E. J. Martin, 1945 (3 months); Ted Cooper, September 16, 1945 - 57; Lester E. McCalister, September 1957 - August 61; A. D. Compton, September 1961 - October 63; Dewey C. Caves, January 1964 - 70; Ron Cowger, 1971 - 76.
The church represented in Old State many years. During Ted Cooper’s pastorate, the church prospered and built a beautiful church plant and parsonage. Old state refused to seat their church messengers in 1955. During Lester McCalister’s pastorate, the church began representing in Coop in 1960. The church enjoyed continued growth with the most growth under Ron Cowger who led the church out of the Coop and Landmark work. The church has departed from its original doctrinal beliefs.
Brentwood, Missionary Baptist Church (ABA)
MBC, Brentwood, sponsored by FMBC, Antioch, led by Missionary Joseph La Point, began as a mission in 1986, and was organized September 9, 1989. During the three year mission period, land was purchased and a fine church plant was built.
The following have served as pastor: Joseph La Pointe, September 9, 1989 - 91; Otis Dees, 1993 - September 94; Joseph La Pointe, Interim Pastor 1994 - 95; Larry Morey,
1996 - present.
The Brentwood MBC is the product of the great, combined mission work of FMBC. Antioch and the Coop Association.
Buena Park, ABA Missionary Baptist (Disbanded)
The ABA MBC, renamed FMB in 1962, sponsored by FMBC, Armona, Interstate Missionary F. E. James, was organized in South Whittier in 1960. Their messengers represented in the Coop 1960. The following served as pastor: F. E. James 1960; Melvin Long 1961 - 62; Thomas Counts 1962 - 66, Truman Russell Assistant part of this time; Lynn Mayall, 1966 - 68; A. M. Curtis, 1968 to July 70; O. Clint Wilkins 1971 - 86. Jim Wilkins assisted in 1961 when the church moved to Buena Park. The church disbanded in 1986.
Buena Park, Missionary Baptist Church (Disbanded)
The MBC, Buena Park, Missionary S. F. Carlton, was organized in 1955. The church represented in the Old State in 1955. They used ABA Sunday School literature. The following served as pastor: Brother Carlton 1955 - 56; Travis Hanna 1957. The church did not represent in Old State after 1957.
Camarilla, Missionary Baptist Church (ABA)
The MBC, Camarillo, was organized in 1992 or 93. No organization information was provided. The church messengers represented in the Southern California and Coop in 1993. The following served as pastor: Bob Thompson 1993 - 94; Ray Velasquez 1995 - 98; Larry Patterson 1999 - 01; no pastor 2002 - 03; Rodger Pearson 2004 - present.
Carmichael, Baptist Church (Independent)
The Carmichael BC, endorsed by Highlands MBC, was organized December 7, 1968, with 28 charter members. The following served as pastor: Noel Brown 1968 - late 80's; Bill Brown late 1980's - 04. Ray Owen was minister of music several years and interim pastor briefly in 1972. The church purchased property and built a beautiful church plant. The church represented in Old State 3 years then chose to closely fellowship with a number of Independent Calvinistic Baptist churches.
Click To Continue To Next Page
February 17, 2010